Saturday, May 22, 2010

So Much Waste

I often remind myself what a privileged, spoiled life my family and I live. Our over-stuffed refrigerator and pantry attest to that. Sometimes our food supplies are so crowded, I forget about some of the items we have only recently purchased. Just can't see 'em -- out of sight, out of mind. Not a good thing when perishables are involved.

I read or heard somewhere recently that the average American garbage can eats better than about 80 percent of the world's population. Looking at what my family and I have discarded recently, I can see where, sadly, that might be all too true. In our case, however, my compost pile is at least eating better than my trash can. This is some small consolation, and a step in the right direction to making our waste productive. (Another step in the right direction might be to buy a little less and then consume everything we buy. Novel idea, huh?).




Recently tossed spinach, green beans, rotted strawberries, moldy bread, and limes gone bad, garnished with banana peels and egg shells (the contents of the latter two were happily consumed).

No comments: