Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Cactus in the Dark

In case you didn't already guess, I love cacti and succulents --not only photographing them, but growing them as well. We have quite a few of them scattered around between the potted plants on our backyard deck, and occasionally we like to move them around. . .

So, it was a lovely night, and my hubby called out to me to join him on the back deck where he was relaxing and enjoying a drink in the dark. With no lights on, we sat in the coolness of the day's end and chatted about upcoming events. As we chatted, we rocked, enjoying the stars that were now so visible in the sky.  

After a few minutes, I decided it was time to get up and get the kids to bed. What I didn't know though, was that a small but overly self-protective cactus was right below my bare left foot. Knowledge is everything, I think, and without it, I stepped right on that bad boy, only to spend the next half hour hobbling, wincing and trying to pull its spiky thorns out of my foot. 

Three days later, my foot was still sore.  Five days later, now, and the pain is almost gone.  

No comments: