Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Granby Street Pizza - Good, Cheap Eats


Armed with our cameras while out and about this weekend, my daughter and I "discovered" Granby Street Pizza in downtown Norfolk. I say "discovered" because although I had heard of it, I didn't realize what a great spot it was until we actually went there.

We really just popped our heads in to see what was going on, especially since we had only recently indulged our sweet tooths at Chocollage (see Sunday, May 22 post).

Inside we found the pizza maker, Mark, tossing the pizza dough in the air to stretch it out, which he repeated a couple more times just for our viewing pleasure. We continued watching him as he made the exceedingly large pepperoni pizza, gaping as he loaded on the sauce, cheese, and roni.  Dessert suddenly seemed such a long time ago...




Although Mark was making up a fresh pizza, we also spied several other, different, delicious-looking pizzas lined up, ready for the serving. Since we love pizza about as much as we love dessert ... well, you can guess how this story ends...

At only $2.50 for a large slice with pepperoni (or $14 for a whole 18" pizza), this pizza is a nice deal.  Even some of the specialty pizzas are only $2.50 a slice, like the Italian Flag Bianca Pizza (white pizza) I enjoyed (shown below right). 


My daughter, Anna, in a kid's conservative fashion, ordered the pepperoni pizza. My tastes run a tad more exotic though, so I chose the Italian slice, which was made with tomato, spinach, ricotta, romano, mozzerella and a goodly smattering of chopped garlic.

After sampling each other's slices, we declared both quite good, although my girl ended up liking mine even more than her own. Determined to try some of the other pizzas at a later date, we decided that we will definitely be back, with the rest of the family in tow!

Granby Street Pizza serves New York Style Pizza; Stromboli, Calzones, and other Italian Fare; Subs, Burgers, Gyros, and Salads.

Located at 235 Granby Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 622-5084

Thanks to Mark and owner Peter Freda for allowing me to photograph them and their good eats!



No comments: