Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Chicken Parmigiano My Way

"What's for dinner?" That question is one that always rankles me a bit, since it reminds me what a tired and boring cook I usually am. I seem to have such a hard time coming up with something new that everyone in the family will eat, while still keeping things quick and simple.

Today, however, I was so proud of myself when I remembered a simple dish I used to make a lot several years ago - chicken parmigiano, without the parmesan!  Here is my version of the dish (semi-homemade) which turned out pretty darn good tonight, I must say.

Chicken Parmigiano JoJo -- with Rice

2 large deboned breasts
1 TBS olive oil
1 large jar seasoned sauce
1 TBS oregano
1 cubed small onion
1 glove garlic, sliced 
1 tsp chopped fresh basil (my plants are just babies!)
Mozzerella cheese (preferably shredded) and/or Italian cheese mix 
Sliced fresh tomato

Pound the breasts between saran wrap to make them tender. Place breasts in large pan, coat both sides with olive oil and cook meat just until it is opaque. Pour sauce on breasts, coating thoroughly, and heat sauce until just bubbly. Next, turn down heat to just simmering. Mix in oregano, onion, garlic. Cover and continue simmering about 20 minutes while making the rice (I used Uncle Ben's converted). While rice is resting, add fresh basil to sauce, top breasts with sliced tomato, and top the tomato with the cheese.  Cover again, just long enough to melt the cheese.  Serve with rice -- but watch that mozzerella - it tends to go everywhere your fork goes!

Hope you en-joie!



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: